Saturday, August 9, 2014

Peanuts and Cracker Jacks: Enjoying Comfort at Dickey-Stephens Park

Last night, I had the rare opportunity to enjoy one of the luxury suites at Dickey-Stephens Park, home of the Arkansas Travelers. I should preface this with the following statement: I am not a baseball fan. I’m not really a sports fan in general, and of the sports that I can watch, baseball seems to slip further and further down that list. But this isn’t about baseball or sports in general. This is about living the fancy life.

Dickey-Stephens Park sits right along the Arkansas River, nestled next to the bridge that links Highway 67 between Little Rock and North Little Rock. It opened in 2007, and feels nicely maintained for a seven-year-old facility. They go for a birth of baseball aesthetic, with mostly brick interiors and signs with Copperplate Gothic Bold typeface. It’s not a large park, so there aren’t really any bad places to sit. Everybody gets a decent view of the action. And there’s no shortage of food stands, so it’s unlikely you’ll go hungry. Broke, maybe, but not hungry.

Last night was Museum of Discovery Night (my in to the game in the first place) as well as Bring Your Dog to the Park night, so they appear fairly lax with bringing animals in if only for an evening. Unfortunately, we had no dog to bring, and those who did have dogs who were also enjoying the “suite” life (shoot me now) could not bring dogs into the luxury suites. It was understandable, however, as the room was certainly too small for all 24 of us two-leggers to stay in at once. There was also the concern of dogs tearing up the leather couch, the centerpiece of the room.

We got there a few minutes late, but there was plenty of food and drink left. A mini fridge under a counter secreted shelves of beer, soda, and bottled water. Given that the heat and humidity lately have been oppressive, I needed cold liquid nourishment. I needed a beer. At the time, I was given the choice of Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, and Summit IPA. I wasn’t quite ready for an IPA, and I refuse all things Bud, so I went with a Michelob. Their cans have apparently been redesigned to the dimensions of a Red Bull can: slender, towering over their 12 oz rivals. Still tastes like the same old Michelob.

Our menu was simple, but in the best way: hamburgers, hot dogs, baked beans, potato chips, and potato salad. It was everything you could want for a cookout on a hot summer day. The food was provided by the park itself, so these weren’t gourmet burgers or anything of the like, but they were pretty good. And best of all, they were free.

A flatscreen TV was mounted in the corner of the room, tuned to a Cardinals game for those who weren’t content enough watching the minor league game outside live. It was oddly comforting to hear the others here admit to be Cards fans, not because I myself am one, but because so many back home are. Home felt closer in the room of strangers.

In spite of the horrid humidity, we sat outside with the rest of the group. I did my best to pay attention to the game, but in truth I spent most of the time taking in the sights and sounds and a Summit IPA and Stella Artois. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous. That sounds like a good ball park. And damn, I haven't had a Michelob in ages.

    ReplyDelete